"SERVING OUR COMMUNITY THROUGH THE ART OF MUSIC AND DANCE"
Dance Theatre Northwest is a unique collaboration of groups that work within our performing company. We are composed of dancers; our regional performing company and Jr. Dance Ensemble, and guest performers, our vocalists; artistic/technical supporters; Ballet Guild, Advisory Board and Concert Planning and Review Committee and volunteer support.
In addition to presenting formal concerts and acclaimed guest artists, we are committed to bringing dance to groups who are not easily able to attend concerts” i.e. Retirement/nursing homes, senior centers, schools, low income families and at risk youth. Dance Theatre Northwest performs additionally at community events such as the Tacoma Holiday Food and Gift Show, and the University Place Festival, presenting a free all day cultural arts and entertainment stage with workshops and educational activities. We are a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization committed to assisting current and future dancers and artists.
Our Mission is to provide high quality, ballet-based, American contemporary dance performance and dance education, and to offer economically and culturally diverse communities in the Pacific Northwest the opportunity to experience dance as an important art form. Dance Theatre Northwest offers a variety of innovative and original programs that benefit, educate and impact rural residents. We are committed to making dance as an art form accessible to all individuals and groups through our collaboration of artists and volunteer support. Dance Theatre Northwest develops three to four original programs a year and has averaged 30-40 high quality performances annually for more than ten years.
We have developed and provided cultural outreach to the community through the following programs:
- Festivals and exhibition performances such as Tacoma Holiday Food and Gift Shows since 1985
- Pre-performance and on-going lectures at all performances since 1985.
- Discounted tickets for Seniors, children and students since 1992.
- Dance Camps and summer intensive dance theatre programs since 1995.
- Dance classes in ballet, jazz, tap, musical theatre for children, teens and adults in professional facilities.
- Volunteer programs including Ballet Guild, and technical theatre opportunities since 1990.
- Workshops and master classes since 1985.
- Performances at venues with free parking that are handicapped accessible since 1990.
- Performances that are staged at nursing/retirement and senior centers and schools that are free and open to the public. Our ongoing Nursing/Retirement program has been successfully implemented since 1994.
- Free and low cost ticket voucher program since 1996, that has allowed students, seniors and residents of sheltered-living environments, at-risk youth and low-income individuals a chance to experience dance that would not be possible otherwise.
- Full and tuition-assisted Scholarships since 1993 that have already launched several professional dance careers.
- Internship programs with UPS, PLU, TCC and the Seattle Arts Institute since 1992.
- Our facility has also serves students as an off site campus for Tacoma Community College and Pierce College offering dance courses offering accredited and continuing ed classes in ballet, tap and jazz.
- Community classes through the University Place Parks and Recreation since 2001.
- New York education travel program for potential professional dancers -offers exposure to dance education through class participation at Joffrey Ballet School, STEPS, Broadway Dance Center, New Dance Group, Ballet Arts at City Center, Alvin Ailey and with Finis Jhung and Robert Atwood in New York City since 1997.